1. Dryer: Allowing lint to build up inside the dryer where the heating element is housed can easily become a fire hazard. After every cycle, remove the lint from the lint trap; every few months, vacuum the lint trap thoroughly and remove build up remaining in the outside lint trap; every two years hire a professional to clean out the housed cabinet.
2. Fireplace: Creosote buildup causes most chimney fires and sparks can fly out of he hearth and ignite rugs or furniture. Be sure to have your chimney swept once a year and keep the screen closed when the fireplace is in use.
3. Gas Grill: Use caution when grilling and make sure that your gas-supply hoses are connected properly, free of cracks and your propane tank is in good working condition. It's also important to set your grill up outside of and away from an enclosed porch or that it's not to close to your homes siding, preferably 10 feet away.
4. Gutters: Clogged gutters overflow and allow water to pool around the foundation of your home, leading to basement leaks. Be sure to remove leaves and debris from your gutters every spring and fall.
5. Pipes: A pipe that freezes and cracks even the teeny tiniest bit can leak over 250 gallons of water daily. It is recommended to insulate exposed pipes with foam sleeves before the wintertime, turn off the water supply to outdoor spigots and leave the taps open to relieve any built up internal pressure.
6. Roof: Believe it or not, a roof that's too warm in the wintertime melts snow, creating runoff that freezes when it meets the gutter and forms an ice dam that forces water beneath the shingles creating moisture and warping your roof. It is suggested that you add attic insulation to help keep the roof cool year round.
7. Smoke Detectors: Dead or missing batteries are the number one cause of malfunction. Make sure you change your batteries at least once a year and replace older model detectors.
8. Stovetop: Nearly half of all fires start in the kitchen and the stove/oven is most usually the culprit. Never leave food unattended and keep burners free of combustibles such as paper towels, plastic, food and pot holders.
9. Washing Machine: A broken or improperly fitted inlet hoses can cause a rush of water to sweep through your laundry room. Replace rubber hoses with braided steel ones and check regularly to ensure that there are no leaks or loose connections.
10. Wiring: Old and bad wires can short out and start a fire. Signs of pending trouble could be frequent blown fuses, flickering lights and a tingling sensation when you touch a wall switch or appliance. Be sure to replace old circuit breakers with arc-fault circuit interrupters, which cut the electricity when they sense danger.
Crane Insurance Agency // 452 South Lehigh Avenue, Frackville, PA 17931 (Schuylkill County) // Phone: (570) 874-3800 // Fax: (570) 874-2918
The Beyrent Agency // 246 East Broad Street, Tamaqua, PA 18252 (Schuylkill County) // Phone: (570) 668-0327
Business Hours: Monday through Friday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday - By Appointment Only
Copyright 2014 All Rights Reserved